Monday, June 27, 2016

My Favorite Day of the Year

No, June 27 is not my favorite day of the year. J

 My favorite day of the year is the day that I am finally finished (or mostly finished) with my front yard and porch spring spruce ups.
I took a small break from painting and other indoor chores last weekend and worked outside. It was glorious and warm, and I thought it was going to be cooler on Saturday, but it really wasn’t, and I kind of overworked myself to the point that I was on the couch in my pjs by 4:30 in the afternoon feeling like an old, out of shape wimpy loser. One of the things I hate the most about getting older is that I can’t work outside the way I want to. I used to spend days and days planting flowers, pulling weeds, spreading mulch--doing whatever needed to be done and finishing it in a few days. I just cannot do that anymore, and I hate it! It takes me several weeks of weekends to accomplish what used to take me 2 or 3 days. And I don’t even plant the amount of flowers that I used to. Now, if I spend a couple of hours out in the heat doing all those spring/summer chores, I have to come inside for lots of cool-off breaks, and even then, I end up feeling like I am going to pass out and die of heat exhaustion right in my front yard. Good thing I live on a busy street; there’s a pretty good chance if I do keel over, someone will notice. And things take me sooo much longer since I have to come inside and cool off every so often. Ugh. Getting older is better than the alternative, but it sure does suck sometimes.

Even though I can’t work outside the way I used to, I still so enjoyed whipping my front porch into shape for the summer, even if it is almost July and I just finished it. I love my front porch; it is my most favorite thing about our house. The covered porch is one of the main reasons we chose this model of home to build. When we first moved in, I sat in a fold up lawn chair from Target on my new front porch in the evenings after the boys went to sleep, gazed out over the scraggly new sprouts of grass that poked up through a layer of straw and fell so in love with my house. That fall, I decorated the porch for the first time with mums and corn husks. At Christmas time, we bought wreaths, tied big red bows onto them, and hung them on each of the front windows. We draped garland with more red bows along the front porch railing and wound white lights through it all.
When spring came I filled the yard with flowers—pots on the porch overflowed with red geraniums, and mounds of vibrant petunias surrounded scrawny trees and filled in empty spaces amongst our newly-planted bushes in front of the porch railing. A few years after we moved in, Tony surprised me with a porch swing on Mother’s Day. I practically lived on that swing, watching the kids play kickball and whiffle ball with their friends or visiting with friends over a glass of wine. In those days, my porch seemed to be a magnet for neighbors and others who were passing by, and I loved it.  Back then, Tony worked nights, and there were very few of my evenings that were not spent on my cozy porch.

It quickly became the heart of my home in the warmer months, and I now spend time there as long into the fall as possible, wrapping myself in blankets when necessary. At the first sign of spring, the chairs are dragged from the shed, and I start dreaming of flowers and ferns and late evenings reading on the porch, even though it is still months away from when I can actually start planting. While I miss the days of hanging out with friends and neighbors while oodles of kids ran through sprinklers or covered the driveway with their chalky art, the best parts of my day are still those spent rocking the time away sipping coffee or wine or iced tea while reading or chatting with a friend on the phone. A few weeks ago, I got together with an old friend I haven’t seen for a while, and of course, we ended up on the porch with a bottle of wine. It was about 200 degrees and mosquitos were out in full force, but we didn’t care. We scattered citronella candles around our feet, wiped sweat from our faces, and after a few minutes, she propped her feet up on the railing and said, “You’re going to think I’m sappy and stupid, but I miss this. I miss hanging out on your porch.” She went on to tell me that times spent on my porch watching our kids when they were little were some of her very favorite memories.
Mine too.

22 years ago, I had such grand dreams of a happy home, filled with family and friends. That moment with an old friend made me remember the days when I relaxed on my porch while thinking, “Life just cannot get any better than this!”
I have been feeling rather sappy and stupid right along with my friend. (A few weeks ago, I wrote that all of our remodeling projects have brought up a lot of memories that I have been compelled to write about, and this is one of those times!) I have been longing for the days when I so very aware of how blessed I was with this beautiful home, because in the past few years, I have tended to treat it with more criticism than love. Whenever I am frustrated or discouraged with how things are going right now, I give my best effort to putting the brakes on my pity party and remind myself that I am still lucky to have this house, even if some of the shine has worn off. The inside may be a dirty disaster, but outside, I still have this oasis to escape to:





 

 
I love it even more now than I did the day we moved in and all I had to sit on was a cheap plastic folding chair. (And I loved it plenty even then). I have made great memories here, and it is my peaceful spot. Too bad I can’t live out there since it is cleaner and prettier than inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment