Saturday, November 3, 2012

Random Ramblings...


I feel like I have ADD these days, so I decided that rather than try to write on any one topic, I will just go where ever my thoughts lead me.

Stress Relief…

I went shopping yesterday and bought supplies for the weekend:
 

 The brick dedication ceremony is tomorrow, and I am dedicating today to laundry and baking. I have a few new recipes I am anxious try: Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins, Overnight Pumpkin French Toast, Buttered Toffee Popcorn, Lasagne Soup and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies. My children are going to be happy today. Very, very happy! Those little pumpkins are in my oven right now filling the house with their yummy aroma.

 Cozy Weather…

It has been a truly glorious fall. We have had the kind of weather that makes me want to go buy new sweaters and take my slippers and flannel pj pants out of storage. The kind of weather that makes me wrap myself in a quilt and head out to the front porch with a cup of coffee. After the steamy hot summer we had, I have thoroughly enjoyed these lovely fall days, and I am sad that they are dwindling.

One Saturday morning, after picking Rachel up from cross country practice, I took a drive through Babler State Park, and the trees were delightfully decked out in their fall finery. I haven’t been there in years, and it was kind of nice to take a leisurely ride through the park. I rolled the windows down a bit even though it was cold because it smelled so wonderful…like crisp fall leaves, and I couldn’t resist. I rarely drive just for the sake of driving, and it brought back memories of Sunday drives with my Grandma and Grandpa Fulk. I don’t think I was ever there on a Sunday that didn’t involve a drive after church and lunch. At the time, I thought they were so boring. My grandpa always drove around Olney so slow, and we kids used to tease him that his car sounded like a sewing machine. The only reason we really tolerated Grandpa’s snail-paced Sunday drives is because they almost always ended at the Dairy Queen. I really enjoyed my drive that Saturday morning when I had nowhere to be and nothing pressing on my to-do list. I think I need to do that more often. Rachel reminded me of when I was a kid tooling around town with my Grandpa. She was bored silly, told me it was dumb to “just drive,” and I bribed her by telling her if she would let me drive and stop complaining, I’d stop on the way home and buy her hot chocolate and a donut. It worked. I won’t say she enjoyed it--in fact she put on her headphones, turned on her iPod, and spent most of the drive texting. Oh, and she spent a great deal of time rolling her eyes every time I pulled over on the side of the road to take a picture. I can only imagine what she was texting to her friends. “OMG, like you won’t, like BELIEVE what my lame mother is, like making me do right now!” Oh well. I may have to spend some more time teaching her the art of the Sunday drive! She’ll be thrilled, I just know it. I wanted to take more pictures, but I was afraid if Rachel did much more eye-rolling, her eyes would be stuck in permanent eye-roll position. I know that with her attitude these days, that  might come in handy for her.
 


 
 
Thankful…

Today, I am thankful that after my written meltdown a couple of days ago, I have had some much better days. It might have been so because I had such a busy day at work on Thursday with barely a minute to sit and breathe much less think as well as a day full of errands yesterday. Whatever the reason, I’ll take it!

I am also thankful for a friend of a friend who took time out of her Saturday last week to meet us at Creve Coeur Lake to take pictures for us. She didn't charge me anything, and she is going to give me all of the pictures she took on a CD. I love how they turned out, and I have looked at them so many times over the past few days. My heart is so full looking at these photos. I love all of  the pictures she took, but these two are my favorites:

 
 
 
Here's to a happy, hopefully tears and panic free Saturday! Right now, I have a counter full of baking ingredients shouting my name. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment