Saturday, October 9, 2010

Planes, Busses and Automobiles...oh my!

Greetings again from the northeast. This time, I am writing from Maine.

Sunny, beautiful Maine. I really do love it here. I could probably live here if not for the fact that I hate winter and snow.

I have a few more pictures to share, because when I arrive back home, I'll probably be so busy catching up, that I won't have time for a while.

First, a couple of pictures from the house Cathi and I stayed at in MA...this was our view from the kitchen window. Unfortunately, I don't have the best camera, so the pictures aren't very good. (that field off to the left is where I saw the deer the day we arrived). It had been raining Thursday morning, and I just happened to look out the window while I was waiting for my bagel to toast...the sun was peeking through the clouds and streaming through the yellow-leafed trees. It was so beautiful that I ran outside with my camera, in my bare feet, to try to get some photos before the sun went away. And it was COLD. The grass was wet. And my feet were bare. My pictures don't do the scene justice, but here they are:






That afternoon, I left the town of Northampton, MA, and I hopped on a bus. 4 1/2 hours and 3 busses later, I ended up in Concord, NH to meet my friend who lives in Maine. THAT is an experience I won't soon forget. Travelling by bus is not quite as convenient as travelling by plane, but I made it here safe and sound. I quickly learned why most everyone getting on the bus with me had only a back pack and another carry on bag. Everytime you change busses, you have to get your suitcase from underneath the bus and carry it to the next bus. So that meant I had to get and drag my 50 pound suitcase 3 times.

My friend and her family are at a family birthday party and it is just me and the dog hanging out, so I decided I would bore to tears anyone who is reading this with a number by number account of my last week:

5 1/2 hours on 2 planes
14 plus hours in various cars
4 1/2 hours on 3 busses
2 hours waiting in airports
45 minutes waiting in seedy bus stations

In the past week, I have also been in 7 states. 7!! Not counting the states I flew over.

Missouri, Minnesota, Connecticut, Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine.

I have been in 15 towns. 15!! Not counting the cities I have driven through either by bus or car.

St. Louis; Minneapolis; Hartford, CT; Rutland, VT; Proctorsville, VT; Northampton, MA; Florence, MA; Easthampton, MA; Springfield, MA; Worcester, MA; Concord, NH; Berwick, ME; Kennebunk, ME; Portsmouth, NH; and Rye, NH.

Whew.

I haven't spent a lot of time in all of those cities. Today, with my friend's husband's car, and her daughter's GPS, I planned on driving to Portsmouth, NH, walking around the town, maybe having some ice cream...yeah. You know what they say about the best laid plans...I made it there just fine, but could NOT find a place to park. My wimpiness kicked in, and I was afraid if I got too far off the beaten path, I would forget where I parked. So after driving around for a LONG time, I gave up and decided to head back to Maine. I did however manage to stop and take these pictures of Portsmouth Harbor. Wow, it was so pretty. Again, my crappy camera doesn't do it justice.






So, I came back to my friend's house, and you'll not believe what I am doing now. Napping? Watching tv? Eating? Knitting?

No. No. No. And no.

I am baking! Be still my heart...she has been hoarding sugar pumpkins, just waiting for me to get here, I am sure. No, not really, but when she told me that the pumpkins decorating her family room are sugar pumpkins, I knew I would have to bake. So that is what I am doing. I guess it's a sickness...I can't stop baking, even when I'm not at home.

Stay tuned for the rest of my "adventures."

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you could visit, just wish it wasn't such a hectic weekend for us. I am sorry I left you alone on Saturday to go to my father in laws 90th birthday party :(

    Oh and for those of you reading, she didn't end up baking the muffins, just got around to the pumpkin before she fell asleep on the couch with the dog at her feet...... :)

    Love and miss you already Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear even more about it. Your pictures are as beautiful as always. Bake away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and miss you too! The time always goes way too fast. :( And stop apologizing about Saturday! I mean it! :p

    Is Shadow sulking because he misses me?? LOL

    Thanks, Jill...I wish I had a better camera. My pictures never turn out quite the way I want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course Shadow misses you! :)

    And can you believe we still have the pumpkin muffins we baked on Sunday?? Should have sent some with you on your plane ride!

    Hope your week at work won't be too hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those muffins last longer at your house than they do at mine. I sometimes have to hide them so that I can have some since I don't inhale food the way my children do.

    ReplyDelete