Saturday, January 1, 2011

Soooo...it's my first day of the next 365 of posting something something awesome each day.

Today, it's a recipe. A totally awesome, yummy hot drink for winter recipe.

Years ago, a friend made this. I asked her for the recipe the other day because it sounded like a good NYE drink and also a good drink to drink when in the grips of a nasty head cold. Don't be scared of it if you don't drink alcohol; I made some for Tony last night without it, and he said it was pretty tasty. Here it is.

Hot Buttered Rum
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
2 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cardamon (I couldn't find cardamon, so I used ground allspice instead because it's what I had)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 sticks unsalted butter (You know, the low fat kind of butter)

Soften the ice cream. Melt the butter. Mix the brown sugar, seasonings and vanilla into the softened ice cream. Then quickly mix in the melted butter. Pour into covered container and freeze. To make drink, put 2 heaping tablespoons of ice cream mixture into a mug. Add 1 oz. of rum (about 2 TBSP). Pour 8 oz. of boiling water into mug and stir until ice cream mixture is melted and mixed in. Enjoy!

The kids also liked it minus the rum. And the recipe makes a ton, so you can happily enjoy it all winter.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness!!! Sounds sooooo good. I'm afraid I would drink it all in one evening.

    ReplyDelete