Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Settling In

I am settling in for a long holiday weekend at home pretty much by myself while my family is spending the weekend in Virginia Beach. Why? Because I have a big work project (that writing thing that I have written about numerous times) hanging over me…it’s is due on Tuesday, and I still have a ton of work to do on it. So, I am home alone with the dog, and sometimes, Justin.

I’m trying to not be depressed about it. I’m trying to look on the bright side and think of the GOOD things about this weekend besides uninterrupted time to work.

*I can eat whatever I want and not have to worry about cooking for everyone else. I am going to make everything that I like that no one else does. I’m going to make a pot of broccoli cheese soup and I may just eat it every day. I’m also going to buy ice cream that I like rather than the boring stuff, like vanilla and strawberry that everyone else likes. I ate crab dip on Rosemary/Olive Oil Triscuits for dinner.

*My house is clean, and it will stay that way for a whole 5 days. That does not happen often. Well, it happens less than often. It happens never actually.

*I have 5 whole glorious days of not having to drive anyone anywhere. Ever. I don’t have to pick Rachel up from play practice or drive her to and from friend’s houses. I don’t have to take or pick up anyone from work (except myself), and best of all, I don’t have to go out at 1 am to pick Brandon up from work. My gas bill is going to be about nothing this weekend, because after I get home from work on Friday, I don’t have to go anywhere that I don’t want to go.

*I can watch what I want to watch at night on TV. Or, not watch TV at all. I won’t have to hear sounds of Cardinal games as background noise in my house every night. Best of all, I won’t have to hear the sounds of my husband and son screaming at the TV during Cardinal games. The Cardinals pretty much suck right now, so I hear lots of screaming most nights. But I won’t have to this weekend.

I’ll focus on what I don’t have to do this weekend rather than what I do have to do…which is write something that I have grown to hate with a fiery passion. I am also going to focus on the fact that this time next week, I will be done done done. Well, except for working with the editor on any changes that will need to be made, but I can deal with that. I think.

I will also focus on what I don't have to do this weekend instead of what I would love to be doing...walking on the beach, feeling the hot sun on my face...

For now, I’m going to savor some peace and quiet. I gave myself permission to take the night off from writing. It was a long day at work, I’m tired, and I need to settle my mind a bit. So I am doing that with a glass of wine on the porch while listening to the soothing sound of late-summer cicadas.

Things I am thankful for:

*That for the most part, I enjoy my own company since I'm going to have a lot of it in the coming days.

*That my husband loves spending time with his kids and was almost giddy at the thought of taking them on vacation by himself.

*That I have a refrigerator stocked with food that I can only stock it with when no one else is home to say "ewwwwww....." when they open the fridge.

*That I have a couple of really awesome coworkers who can lift me up and make me laugh when I really want to bang my head against the cute brick wall in my office.

No comments:

Post a Comment