Sunday, May 31, 2009

Next Year

Where will we be in 6 months...in a year...I wish I had a crystal ball I could gaze into and SEE where we will be. Maybe then, I would stop thinking to myself a thousand times a day, every time I say something that assumes we will be here in this house in the future "wait, maybe we WON'T do that next summer." I'm tired of thinking that.

Today, I was in the backyard with Lauren. She was digging weeds out of the garden. It's a pretty paltry garden, containing one tomato plant, one rhubarb plant, and a few struggling strawberry plants, donated by Mom. The strawberry plants really need their own raised bed, but Tony didn't have the materials to build another one. This afternoon, I told Lauren that next year, he would need to build another along the back fence for the tomatoes and other plants so the strawberries could have their own.

Next year.

The next door neighbor was out opening his pool. Tony told him he had considered taking ours down as the kids don't use it much, and that he probably will next year.

Next year.

Later, I was on the swing, and Tony noticed a board on one of the steps coming down from the deck was rotting. He told me that he had noticed a few others, too. And he said that next year, we will have to replace the flooring of the deck.

Next year.

Something I have said many times and never given it a second thought that there may not BE a next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment