Saturday, September 4, 2010

My baking mojo is back. Well, maybe...

This morning, Justin and Lauren had cross country practice. Tony left with them and Justin's best friend Sam at 7 am...I decided to make homemade pretzels for breakfast when they got home. (coated in cinnamon this time instead of just salt and butter).

Sooo...after I spent 8 hours (I mean minutes) doing this:



and this:



and this:



I put the dough in a bowl to rise for one hour.

And it didn't rise. AT ALL. Not even a smidgen. Even though I used rapid rise yeast. I googled to see what I could have done wrong...expired yeast? No, it expires in May 2011. Too much/not enough kneading...well, maybe not enough but I kneaded for almost 10 minutes, working up a sweat and wearing out my hands...water not the right temp...well, I did use a digital thermometer to check that...

Sooo...I decided to try again, with yeast from a different packet, that doesn't expire until September 2012. The second batch of pretzel dough is now hopefully rising on my stove as I type this.

Stay tuned. I'll either be showing a picture of cinnamon/sugar/butter coated pretzels or another bowl of dud dough that didn't rise.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I hope it worked!!! That sounds sooooo good. Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it did work...can't post a picture though, because they got eaten too fast. LOL I didn't even get one!

    And yikes...I guess I can cross hand model off my list of things I'd like to be when I grow up. My hands look older than my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And YAY! I figured out how to respond to my own posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL your hands are beautiful!!! Any hands that are kneading dough have to be. Did you make the pretzels the same way and then just add the yummy topping? What was the mixture?

    Oh, and I'm now J.L. Chip just didn't seem right to be doing a Catholic blog under. Will probably change again. Don't get confused ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the pretzels the same way. The last time, I drowned them in a mixture of butter and garlic powder, then sprinkled on coarse salt. This time, I drowned them in butter, and then rolled them in cinnamon and sugar. Good thing I didn't get to eat any!

    ReplyDelete